Anginator

Monday, September 10, 2007

Searching for Inspiration

It's been a busy couple of weeks, which has clearly affected my blogability. Also, I haven't really been inspired lately with a good blog topic. You know, I'm really just not a very creative person. I wish I was! I'm always envious of my friends creative / artistic pursuits. For example, my friend Emily is going to teach me how to make a mosaic table top for my patio. Emily is extremely creative! She told me all I need (in addition to her expertise) is some "inspiration" for what I want my table to look like. I've been searching high and low for this inspiration, and so far haven't found it. Is there somewhere I should be looking that I haven't thought of? I'm really excited to have have my table, but am more or less paralyzed by the infinite number of designs it could take. Is there somewhere I could buy some artistic confidence?

In other news, you may not have realized it, but the most wonderful time of year has arrived. Football season! I joined a new fantasy football league this year, which means now I play in three. No, it's not too many. It might be close though...I'm starting to find myself cheering for players I own in one league but then am playing against in another league. It's a little complicated, but I'm up to the task.

I'm also really excited for the Women's World Cup which started today, and the US has their first game tomorrow. They have the toughest draw in the tournament, but I'm sure they will be up to the challenge. Because the tournament is in China, the games are on very early in the morning here. I haven't yet figured out how to approach viewing the games. It will certainly involve TIVO, but then there's the matter of avoiding news of the results all day long. At any rate, these world class women athletes, I'm pretty sure, don't have to search for inspiration.

5 Comments:

  • Is it too obvious that your table top should have a sports theme? It could be totally abstract, I'm thinking something ... like a Leroy Neiman painting. Like this!

    By Blogger sakamaho, At 9:14 AM  

  • I'm not saying your table top should look exactly like that painting, just that the painting could provide some inspiration ... like the colors used for the crowd.

    BTW, you're more creative than you give yourself credit for. Don't be paralyzed -- jump in!

    By Blogger sakamaho, At 9:23 AM  

  • See, that's exactly what I'm talking about! Your suggestion of that painting as a possible source of inspiration is awesome! (and not just because it hast he 49'ers, though that doesn't hurt.) But how am I supposed to know about these things? I'm hopeless. Perhaps I will just have to rely on the artistic visions of my friends. What's really so wrong with that anyway?

    By Blogger Anginator, At 9:48 AM  

  • Hey Ang! Sarah is right on with the inspiration methods. See, most of my inspiration just comes from the common theme of "things that I like." For example, I like stuff with birds on it so I make stuff with bird motifs. Right now I am making a clock that has wings. But that doesn't mean that things always work out on the first try. A couple weekends ago, I pried all the tiles off the clock to start over because I didn't like the way it looked.

    By Blogger Dr Em, At 10:05 AM  

  • Just this morning I was thinking the same thing that Em wrote above. Projects may start one way and then take a turn and become something that you didn't anticipate. Sometimes they turn out better, and sometimes you just plain don't like them and it's back to the drawing board. But that's part of the process. I wouldn't strive for perefection on your first project! Maybe you can do some mini-projects first that have less pressure on them before you do your tabletop? Or, you could even start by doing construction paper collage (cheap) to get a feel for how to arrange light, medium, and dark colors to get the effects you're going for. (hmm, i like that idea. i may do that myself) :) I can't wait to see what you and Em come up with!

    By Blogger sakamaho, At 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home