Anginator

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tell me yours, I'll tell you mine.

I was reading a story the other day about guilty pleasures, and it got me a-thinkin' about some of my own. So here goes.

Kraft Mac & Cheese. Especially the spiral noodles. I know it doesn't really have any redeeming nutritional qualities, but I still enjoy this taste of my childhood. I like to dress it up now with a little curry powder. Or some fresh cherry tomatoes. But I'll take it plain too. I occasionally sneak this onto the menu on nights when The Mr. is off doing something else.

Dilly Bars. And while I'm on the subject of "food," does anything beat a run to DQ for a dilly bar? Nowadays, most locations have the pre-made dilly bars made in a factory somewhere. It's nice to have the option to buy dillys all boxed up to take home, but I do miss the originals. You know, the ones made and dipped right in the store with the little soft-serve belly button in the middle? There's actually a DQ not far from my house that still makes this kind. It's not the closest location, but it's worth the extra mile or two.

Barry Manilow. As a kid, I probably had more Barry Manilow vinyls than any other artist. Today, his greatest hits live happily on my ipod. Oh! And also Barry Manilow sings Frank Sinatra. That album is great too.

Milli Vanilli. Ok, they're on my ipod too. I'm pretty sure I got the cd from Sarah. Come on, you have to admit no matter who was actually singing, those were some catchy tunes. I got to check out the MTV Jams tour with Milli Vanilli and Tone Loc in 1989 and it was pretty much the best day of life. B-buh-buh-buh baby...

Powerline. Sometimes I like to check out this blog to see what's getting the dark side all worked up. Reading this site always makes me feel so, oh, I don't know, intellectually superior. (I just don't have it in me to actually sully my blog with an actual link to their site though...)

My childhood hometown newspaper. I don't think this is really a guilty pleasure, but it's something I do that cracks me up. The Yankton Daily Press and Dakotan site always has a weekly reader poll. I'm a regular voter in this poll, which for some reason I find hilarious. Probably because I'm one of usually somewhere between 150-200 voters, and I'm nearly always in the serious minority. I wonder if I'm the only "outsider" who votes. I also really wonder who picks the questions. Right now it's "Are you ready for school to start again?" (47% yes) but a few weeks ago it was "Should the US trust Pakistan as an ally in the war on terror?" (84% no). Any local P&D readers who can look into that for me would be appreciated.

American Idol. Can't leave this off the list! It's currently my only reality TV fix. I'll admit it, I'm a fan. I missed the boat the first season (Kelly Clarkson rocks!), but have been a faithful viewer ever since. I toyed around with The Apprentice for a couple seasons, but that didn't have the staying power of Idol. (Ok, fine, I also watched Joe Millionaire that first season, but that was a one-time only mistake.)

And last but not least, sleeping in! I had more or less been out of the habit of really sleeping in on the weekends, but lately The Mr. and I have rediscovered this simple (but sometimes guilty) pleasure. Seems our schedules have gotten a little out of hand lately, and after long weeks at work and busy evenings after work, by the weekend we're pretty much exhausted. Nothing says happiness like turning off the alarm. Then it's just a matter of waiting to see how long the neighbors will wait to start mowing their laws on Saturday morning. (Today it was only 8:45 - boo!) It's rare, but sometimes we can make it until 10:00. Yee haw!

So, how about you?

5 Comments:

  • My guilty pleasure is spending the 20 minutes it takes to read the Top Chef reviews at Television Without Pity. They are so damn funny that it's worth it. And I don't feel guilty about watching the show, but I do feel guilty about READING about watching the show! :)

    You're right, I did give you that Milli CD. Was it payment for something? A birthday present? I remember trying to unload it at a couple used CD places and nobody wanted it. I'm so glad you enjoy it! buh-buh-buh-buh, buh-buh-buh-buh-baby!

    By Blogger sakamaho, At 9:25 PM  

  • BTW, I forget to vote in the online P&D polls now that I receive the paper on my doorstep. You'll have to send me a note when they have a particularly funny poll question ...

    By Blogger sakamaho, At 9:27 PM  

  • i LOVE television without pity, or TWOP, as i like to call it. some shows i stopped watching and just read the recaps. this works well for reality TV shows because they have so much damn filler.

    anyway, my guilty pleasures are

    1. reading TWOP
    2. laying in bed all morning, i don't even have to be sleeping, i just like to lay there and snuggle with poncho
    3. watching 30 rock full episodes on NBC.com - i love that show!!

    By Blogger Dr Em, At 1:08 PM  

  • Funny! (this is Shelley 'text'd' Jarrard)

    1. Cheeseburger and fries
    2. Playing Fizzball
    3. Listening to the Country Classic station in the car
    4. Watching '24' on dvd
    5. Entering cartoon caption contests (0 fer)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:25 AM  

  • I've got a new guilty pleasure: Facebook!

    By Blogger sakamaho, At 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home